Monday, June 16, 2008

Kids Craft


One of the greatest gifts that my parents had given me is the desire to "make things". They probably weren't conscious of it. But I remember watching my mom knit, sew, and cook for as long as I can remember. My dad isn't really a handy person, but he loves to make new uses out of old objects. I still remember he used to make beautiful paper decorations and put them inside glass jars so we can use them for storing miscellaneous items.

I've decided to pass this on to my boy, Genghis. We do a lot of different crafts when we're home on the weekends. And, he loves it. Every weekend, he would ask me if he could do saau gong, which means handicraft in Cantonese, with me. To keep things interesting, I always try to do different crafts every time. And, that's how I started reading blogs on kids crafts.

One of my favorites is SouleMama by Amanda Soule. Not only is her blog a joy to read, but it's also full of great craft ideas - not all of them are for kids, though. Her book, The Creative Family, is the perfect guide to building stronger relationship with kids through creative activities.

And, you never know, I often get inspired by what Genghis does with his saau gong.

No comments: